- You earn loyalty credit for every order you place at iHerb!
- Loyalty credit is equal to 10% of the value of your order, excluding shipping charges.
- Your loyalty credit will be applied towards your next order as soon as your current order has shipped.
- Your loyalty credits are valid for up to 60 days from the date of your last purchase.
- Juglans Nigra
- Origin: United States
- Kosher Certified by Kosher Certification Services
- Certified Kosher
- Certified Organic by QAI
- USDA Organic
Black walnut hulls are an example of the diverse selection of herbal products offered from Starwest Botanicals. With one of the best selections of bulk herbs for sale on the Internet, the fact is that not all our products are actually “herbs” in the scientific sense. Our quality bulk “herbs” include roots, tree bark, dried flowers, and seeds, of which Black walnut hull is included.
You may have eaten ground walnut in desserts or in savory dishes such as pesto (it is a common and less expensive substitute for pine nuts), but it is actually the seed of the juglans nigra – a northern hardwood tree that grows to as much as 100 feet in height.
The black walnut is covered with a green pulp until autumn, when it falls to the ground and turns black. Black walnut hull is the shell, or coating of the nut inside. It has long been important in Russian folk medicine as well as that of India and Pakistan, where it is known as akhort.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, a tincture or extract of black walnut hull was sometimes used to treat syphilis, but was not effective (though perhaps preferable to the alternative of the day, which was toxic mercury!).
Dried juglans nigra may be taken in a capsule or used to create a tincture or liquid extract; however the taste is quite bitter.
May contain walnuts.
Prolonged use is not advised due to the presence of significant quantities of juglone, a known mutagen in animals.